Thinking of coming to study in the UK? Take a look at this essential video, which explains step-by-step what you need to do to get here and start studying with ACCA:
Now you know what to do, all that's left is to do it! Apply to study with ACCA now
Every year, students from all over the world arrive in the UK to study ACCA. We want you to have a smooth transition and ensure that your learning experience will be a positive one. This international student guide has been developed to support you as you begin your journey to qualify as a chartered certified accountant. You will find information on ACCA for international students, as well as our members and where we operate.
You can also access information related to your personal development, such as skills updates, employment advice and articles relevant to the profession. Watching the international student video will highlight a few things you need to do before you make arrangements to study in the UK, these include:
Coming to the UK
- step one: registering with a gold or platinum approved learning provider (ALP)
- step two: getting the correct visas by demonstrating a B2-level of English
- step three ensuring you have funding to come into the UK
- step four registering as a student with ACCA and obtaining the correct exemptions to pass onto your learning provider. This will ensure you study towards the right papers.
Before you arrive in the UK
Choose a licensed learning provider
Find and apply to a learning provider who is licensed for the course you want to study. Ensure that they are a Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS) and that they are a gold or platinum approved learning provider (ALP). A list of licensed institutions can be found on the Home Office UK Border Agency website.
Research visa requirements and ensure you have the necessary visas to enter the UK. To see what you need to do and learn about application options for your country, visit the Home Office UK Border Agency website.
Living in the UK
Research information about living in the UK – in particular banking, accommodation, transport, language and other essential information.
ACCA Tuition in the UK
If you are planning to study towards the ACCA Qualification in the UK then you must:
- enrol with a learning provider who is licensed by the UK Border Agency with Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS) status
- make sure this learning provider is accredited with ACCA under the Approved Learning Partner (ALP) programme with Platinum or Gold approval
- obtain the correct visas.
Working in the UK
Upon completion of ACCA studies in the UK, international students return to their home country to obtain the relevant work experience for ACCA membership.
ACCA does not place students into jobs or arrange work permits. It is your responsibility to gain appropriate work experience.
Whatever stage you are at in your career planning, ACCA can help. We have a range of qualifications, relevant to all business sectors, to help you reach your career goals. For more information about a career in finance and accountancy visit the ACCA website.
Employability and Careers Guidance
If you live outside the UK you should ensure that you are entitled to work in the UK before you enquire about jobs.
Examples of accountancy jobs
- accounts assistant
- financial accountant
- finance manager
- finance director
- management accountant
- financial controller (FC)
- finance analyst.