ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) has been rated as the leading global professional accountancy body in reputation, influence and size by employers around the world more frequently than any other professional accountancy body, according to an independent survey of 1,300 employers in 20 countries.
This finding shows that ACCA is widely recognised for its global reach and its leading perspective on issues facing the accountancy profession. This is supported by ACCA’s global network of 83 offices and centres, more than 70 global accountancy partnerships, extensive alliances with learning partners and exam centres.
ACCA’s relevance to employers around the world can be seen in the growth in its global membership, which now stands at over 147,000 members, compared with 140,000 announced last year – an increase of five per cent. ACCA’s worldwide student base has reached 424,000 compared with 404,000 this time last year.
Helen Brand, chief executive of ACCA, says: “These results show that professional accountancy adds value to business on a global basis. At a time of continuing economic instability, the role of our members on the business stage is critical. I am especially pleased to note that employers of our members recognise the contribution ACCA is making as a leading global body.
“ACCA has also worked against the backdrop of unprecedented inquiries into the role of auditors and the value the profession brings to business. ACCA is a leading and consistent voice in that debate. I believe this is a time of great opportunity for the accountancy profession and we must work harder than ever to retain trust and show how we bring public value.
“This was a key theme at the largest-ever World Congress of Accountants, held in Kuala Lumpur, of which ACCA was a leading sponsor. In particular, ACCA was proud to use the global stage of the World Congress to sign a memorandum of understanding with the profession in China, now a leading economic influence in the world.”
A year in summary – achievements in the year 2010-11:
- A strengthening of ACCA’s global partnership arrangements by signing agreements and Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with The Chinese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (November 2010); The Chartered Management Institute (March 2010) and the Interamerican Accounting Association (IAA - January 2011). ACCA now has 71 global accountancy partnerships and agreements around the world.
- The successful launch in January 2011 of Foundations in Accountancy, a new suite of entry-level qualifications.
- The relaunch of the ACCA Qualification to focus more on the needs of the global economy with enhanced papers in audit, risk and corporate governance.
- Focusing on the customer by introducing modern online application processes for Foundations in Accountancy and the ACCA Qualification, using an improved online application form.
- Participation in the World Congress of Accountants in Malaysia – attended by over 6000 finance professionals – organised by the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) and IFAC (International Federation of Accountants) in November 2010.
- Participating on the working group to establish the International Integrated Reporting Committee (IIRC).
- Working with Deloitte on Hitting the Notes, but what’s the tune? – a report about the future of narrative reporting.
- Working with KPMG on a joint report called Maximising people power: effective talent management in finance.
- Producing a new report on access to finance for Small and Medium Sized-Enterprises (SMEs) in collaboration with leading professional accountancy bodies CGA-Canada and CNDCEC, the Italian accountancy body.
Helen Brand concludes: “I am pleased to note the progress we are making towards our strategic vision, on behalf of our members. Our investment in aligning our organisation to the needs of employers and transforming our underlying service delivery is essential to the delivery of Council’s strategy. I am very satisfied to see that employers see the benefits in working with ACCA and its global membership base. This establishes a promising platform for our development in 2011 - 12.”