In part one financial instruments appear in all parts of business life, from simple trade receivables and payables right through to complex instruments that could be part of a formal hedging arrangement. They beg some age-old accounting questions such as:
- Bad and doubtful debts (impairment of financial assets in IAS 39 language)
- When assets and liabilities can be removed from a Balance Sheet
and some more recent ones such as:
- Hedge accounting (to reflect the results of financial risk management)
- Reporting fair values especially in the context of 'mark to market' accounting (how has the value been arrived at? how reliable is it? how has it impacted total income for the period?).
After a quick recap of the basics, the webinar examines some complex issues, in particular:
- impairment of financial assets
- hedging and hedge accounting
- derecognition of financial assets and liabilities
- the IFRS 7 fair value disclosure framework.
The webinar closes with a briefing on the latest proposals for the replacement of IAS 39 currently being considered by the IASB.
Webinar description provided by Kaplan Hawksmere.
Part one webinar recording cost: £20 (exc VAT)
Part two live webinar recording cost: £20 (exc VAT)