This learning module comprises four interactive sessions and describes the nature of strategic planning and puts forward a simple model of how such planning could be carried out. Various methods of analysis are explained (such as PEST, Porter’s five forces), followed by a description of the main strategies which are likely to be available, for example: cost leadership/differentiation, organic growth/acquisition.
The final module looks at issues concerning the implementation of the chosen strategy, including resources, planning and change management.
On completion of this online course, you will gain an understanding of:
- understand why some degree of strategic planning might be useful
- suggest and understand a rational model for a strategic planning approach
- know the main steps needed to devise a strategic plan
- apply the main tools that can be used to gather information about an organisation and its environment
- describe and evaluate the main strategies available to organisations.