This taxation course covers employee expenses and the circumstances in which employees can make a claim to deduct expenses from their earnings for tax purposes. It starts with an overview of the statuatory rules found in tax legislation and the mechanics of making a claim under the PAYE system.
The course then looks at the operation of the 'wholly exclusively and necessarily’ rule which governs employee deductions. This is followed by a review of the rules which cover claims for travel expenses incurred by employees, and by details of what expenses can be claimed by home-working employees.
On completion of this online course, you will gain an understanding of:
- why so many apparently deductible employee expenses are disallowed
- what is meant by travelling in the performance of the employment
- when home to work travel is a deductible expense
- what employee expenses can be claimed by those who work in their own homes
- when professional fees and subscriptions are deductible for employees.