This module covers the different tax residency rules in the UK, covering the concepts of residence, ordinary residence and domicile. These are important as they determine an individual's UK tax status and how they are taxed on income and gains. This module initially looks at how a differing UK tax status determines the tax treatment. It then goes through the conditions for each and further demonstrates the principals with recent case law.
On completion of this online course, you will gain an understanding of:
- how tax treatment of income and gains is affected by residence, ordinary residence and domicile status
- how residence status is achieved
- how ordinary residence status is determined
- how domicile is acquired within the UK
- the concept of deemed domicile which applies for IHT purposes
- the importance of the facts when trying to defend a view in the courts.