ACCA has confirmed that Standard Chartered has met the quality criteria for the award of global Approved Employer (Trainee Development – Gold) status. This means that all Standard Chartered finance and accounting employees who are registered as students with ACCA will receive valuable support to help them successfully complete the ACCA examinations and gain practical experience that enables them to acquire the range of competencies required of finance and accounting professionals in business today.
Helen Brand, chief executive of ACCA says: 'ACCA greatly values the opportunities Standard Chartered provides to ACCA students and members worldwide to gain an internationally recognised qualification and to pursue varied and rewarding careers.'
Approved Employer status is underpinned by a proactive working relationship between ACCA and the bank at the global, regional and local levels. Support is provided to the bank and its trainees by ACCA through its extensive network of offices and dedicated business relationship managers. ACCA works with the bank in a number of areas, including: presentations and workshops for trainees; continuing professional development, networking and other events for finance professionals; and support to help Learning and Development personnel monitor and manage performance.
Julian Fong, Chief Financial Officer Asia and Global Head, Country Finance, Standard Chartered Bank, adds: 'More than ever, finance professionals have a critical role to play in protecting and creating value for the Bank, through partnering with the business to provide information and in maintaining a robust controls environment. This ACCA distinction provides our team members with professional learning and development opportunities that support this key objective.'
Both ACCA and Standard Chartered share a similar geographic footprint with offices across Africa, The Middle East and Asia, and their interests extend to a number of areas important to both organisations including a focus on developing diverse, international workforces and on nurturing business growth especially in developing markets. These synergies make ACCA a natural finance learning partner for the bank.
Helen Brand concludes: 'Professional training and development is just one important element of ACCA’s relationship with Standard Chartered. We are also excited by the opportunities to collaborate on a wide range of issues such as the support for enhancing the role of women within business and the profession, and on improving access to finance and expertise for fast-growing businesses.'
- Ends -
For more information, please contact:
Alana Sinnen, ACCA Newsroom
+44 (0)20 7059 5807
+44 (0)7715 812120
Notes to Editors
- ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) is the global body for professional accountants. We aim to offer business-relevant, first-choice qualifications to people of application, ability and ambition around the world who seek a rewarding career in accountancy, finance and management.
- We support our 154,000 members and 432,000 students in 170 countries, helping them to develop successful careers in accounting and business, with the skills required by employers. We work through a network of over 80 offices and centres and more than 8,500 Approved Employers worldwide, who provide high standards of employee learning and development. Through our public interest remit, we promote appropriate regulation of accounting and conduct relevant research to ensure accountancy continues to grow in reputation and influence.
- Founded in 1904, ACCA has consistently held unique core values: opportunity, diversity, innovation, integrity and accountability. We believe that accountants bring value to economies in all stages of development and seek to develop capacity in the profession and encourage the adoption of global standards. Our values are aligned to the needs of employers in all sectors and we ensure that through our qualifications, we prepare accountants for business. We seek to open up the profession to people of all backgrounds and remove artificial barriers, innovating our qualifications and delivery to meet the diverse needs of trainee professionals and their employers.
Key facts for the media
- ACCA has 8,500 organisations worldwide that are ACCA Approved Employers.
- The Approved Employer programme provides an overall framework within which ACCA supports an organisation’s trainees and members. We do this by:
- providing formal recognition that an organisation is committed to providing learning and development opportunities to its finance staff – which will enhance the organisation’s reputation as an employer
- setting an accessible global standard which enables organisations to compare their learning and development support against a global benchmark, enhancing their brands
- providing fast-track specific ACCA business processes –trainees and/or members can benefit depending on which approval stream is awarded
- helping bring talented people into their organisations.
- giving access to publications and resources addressing staff recruitment, retention and development, as well as access to hot topic events.
- The ACCA Approved Employer programme has three streams:
- Trainee development – recognition of in-house training and to simplify the membership application process for ACCA trainees.
- Professional development – support for the continuing professional development (CPD) of qualified finance professionals.
- Practising certificate development – enables organisations to train ACCA staff for practising certificates.
Standard Chartered – leading the way in Asia, Africa and the Middle East
Standard Chartered is a leading international banking group. It has operated for over 150 years in some of the world's most dynamic markets and earns around 90 per cent of its income and profits in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. This geographic focus and commitment to developing deep relationships with clients and customers has driven the Bank’s growth in recent years. Standard Chartered PLC is listed on the London and Hong Kong stock exchanges as well as the Bombay and National Stock Exchanges in India.
With 1,700 offices in 70 markets, the Group offers exciting and challenging international career opportunities for 87,000 staff. It is committed to building a sustainable business over the long term and is trusted worldwide for upholding high standards of corporate governance, social responsibility, environmental protection and employee diversity. Standard Chartered’s heritage and values are expressed in its brand promise, ‘Here for good’.