An ACCA Professional Courses event
ACCA UK CHARITY FINANCE CONFERENCE
Featuring topical sessions for those working in or advising charities, ACCA UK's annual charity finance conference provides an excellent opportunity to keep up-to-date with the latest developments and best practice within the sector, but also allows delegates to network with other professionals in a relaxed and informal environment.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Finance professionals working in or advising charities, trustees and treasurers. The conference is also a useful refresher for those who only deal with charities occasionally.
Anti Fraud and Corruption
• the fraud and corruption threat landscape
• current legislation and attitude of the authorities
• the risks faced by charities
• controls and adequate procedures to manage the risks
• review of recent cases
Charity VAT Update
This session will focus on areas that most commonly cause difficulties for charities, and will refer to legislative changes and case studies where relevant.
• Grants and contracts funding services provided by charities, including the difference between a non-business grant and a business contract
• Services that count as exempt welfare
• Exempt education services
• Other current topics
More opportunities to access capital could transform the potential for the charity and social enterprise sector to increase its impact. This session will provide an introduction to the social investment market, highlight some of the opportunities and different forms of social investment now available, and discuss case studies of charities and social enterprises that have accessed social investment.
A Practitioners Perspective
A practitioner’s view of the key changes in the new SORP and suggested steps to help plan to implement it.
The New SORP
The new SORP reporting framework for charities
In his update session Nigel Davies, Technical Secretary to the charities SORP Committee, will review:
• The choice between old GAAP FRSSE and new GAAP FRS 102
• The changes from SORP 2005 with particular attention to key accounting policies, the SoFA, and note disclosures
• Controversial topics identified in the consultation and how these were handled
• Resources available to help the practitioner
• Future arrangements for the SORP and prospects for an international approach for ‘not-for-profits’
Employment Law for Charities
• Internship and volunteers
- casual/zero hour contracts/ fixed term contracts
- unfair dismissal
- benefits and leave entitlement
• Auto Enrolment issues for charities
• Changes in the pipeline