Certified Internal Auditor (CIA®) Certification
Internal audit impacts every aspect of an organisation, from finance and operations to marketing and human resources.
We have partnered with The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) - the acknowledged global leader of the internal audit profession - to provide ACCA members with an opportunity to earn the globally recognised Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation.
Benefits to ACCA members
- Develop your internal audit expertise
- Build up your knowledge of international audit standards
- Add these specialist, highly sought-after skills to your knowledge base
- Become the trusted expert in your organisation
- Gain an internationally recognised certification.
Ready to start your application?
Lean more about The IIA
Established in 1941, The IIA is the internal audit profession's global voice, recognised authority, acknowledged leader, chief advocate, and principal educator. Generally, members work in internal auditing, risk management, governance, internal control, information technology audit, education, and security.
Internal auditors impact every aspect of an organisation from finance and operations to marketing and human resources, acting as coaches, stakeholder advocates, risk managers, control experts, efficiency specialists, and problem-solving partners. The IIA has been the foundation for the internal audit profession and its practitioners for over 75 years and serves as the internal auditor’s partner - providing guidance to tackle the complex issues internal auditors face on a daily basis.
Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®)
The CIA programme will enhance your knowledge about:
- Business continuity
- Organisational risk, fraud, control and governance
- International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing
- Mandatory guidance under the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
- Tools and techniques for managing an internal audit project
- Management and leadership principles.
Applying for CIA
- You have four years to successfully complete all three CIA exam parts.
- Your ACCA membership is recognised as satisfying the education and experience requirement for the CIA program. Therefore, you are not required to submit proof of education and experience.
- ACCA members must meet the requirements for character reference and identification.
- The IIA will verify that your membership is active.
In most cases, you do not have to be a member of The IIA to take the CIA exam or become a CIA, but we encourage you to consider its advantages. There are some countries, however, that do require candidates to be IIA members to take the CIA exam.
IIA members receive discounts on CIA review materials and courses and have access to the latest exam preparation resources, networking opportunities, and current CIA news and information.
CIA Challenge Exam
The CIA challenge exam was developed for ACCA members in 2015 as a focused fixed-term opportunity. It was determined by The IIA’s Professional Certification Board that this would be a time-limited opportunity. It was a substantial undertaking for The IIA as the CIA challenge exam was a unique package of study materials, IIA membership and exam entry. As such, there are currently no plans to repeat the Challenge Exam in the immediate future.
Candidates who failed to successfully complete the CIA Challenge Exam may pursue the CIA professional credential through standard methods.
Meet the internal auditors
Richard Tan and Helen Li are ACCA members who have also completed the CIA exam.
CIA Application Fee Waiver
Drive Your Career Forward as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA®). Learn more about how you can save up 230 USD on CIA application fee waiver, 10% on The IIA’s CIA learning system and 10% on CIA exam practice questions. Offer expires 31 May 2017.