CPD special offer
Become familiar with data analytics so you can create value in your organisation with this learning pathway.
Accountants understand data. They are trained to collect, interpret and report on information their systems gather. But never before has it been possible to do that on such a large scale. The availability of big data sets, coupled with readily available tools to analyse them, creates an opportunity for accountants to be at the heart of the decision-making process within the organisation. Are you ready?
This transformation of the finance function is recognised widely. A recent survey by ACCA and IMA, claimed that 62% of companies globally cited big data as hugely important to the future of business, potentially giving savvy businesses an edge on their competitors. Data analytics offers accountants the chance to be at the heart of this, but also the threat that their role could be usurped by techies with less understanding of the finances of the business.
This learning pathway will look at what data analytics is and enable accountants to become familiar in how to use it to create added value in their organisation. It will look at the tools and techniques available and how they can be applied by the finance professional.
In short, this learning pathway will make you ready to engage with the new world of big data and data analytics.
This learning pathway addresses the key elements of successful data analytics:
- understand data analytics
- use Excel to complete statistical analysis
- use more advanced data analysis tools
- understand how to apply the concepts to create value in the real world
- anticipate the trends for the future.
- Duration: 20 weeks
- Weekly study: 1 hour
- Start date: in session
- ACCA members use code ACCA101 at checkout for 10% discount
The programme has been split into different topics, which will be covered each week of the course.
What is data analytics?
1. Introductory webinar: Accountants and the Data Revolution Paula Guilfoyle
2. Pathway orientation and planning
3. The big data era – data science, data analytics and impact on accountants
4. Types of analytics and data – predictive, descriptive/nominal, ordinal, categorical, numerical
5. What is business intelligence?
Statistics for accountants in Excel
6. Descriptive statistics in Excel
7. Basic probability in Excel
8. Variables - an overview
9. The basics of sampling
10. Hypothesis testing
More advanced data analysis tools
11. Introduction to PowerBI
12. Data preparation and data cleaning
13. Data modelling with CAX
14. Data visualisation
15. Case study – business intelligence in action
16. Case study – loan application
17. Machine learning and its role in accounting
18. Hadoop, big data and the cloud
19. Bridging the gap between IT and accounting departments
20. Wrap-up and action planning
ACCA learning pathways in association with accountingcpd, who work with leading industry specialists to develop bespoke CPD courses.
Disclaimer: This course is available for ACCA members, you may need your ACCA membership number to complete your booking. This course and outline is provided by a third-party course provider. All course bookings are subject to the terms and conditions set by the course provider. Please see individual supplier pages for full terms and conditions. ACCA takes no liability for bookings made with third-party suppliers.
CPD special offer
- 20 hours
- 20 weeks - one hour per week
- 330 GBP (plus VAT)
- ACCA members use code ACCA101
- for 10% discount
You will be redirected to an external website for booking.