Ethics Essay Competition 2020
Got Something to SAY?
Executive Pay, Global Financial Crisis, Sales Inducement, Too Big to Fail, Perpetuals, Preference Shares, Environment Social and Governance Issues, Fees, Taxes, Valuation, Private Equity, Fintech, Robo-Advisors, Cryptocurrency, Ethical Culture, Mis-selling, Insider Trading, Market Manipulation, Retrenchment
Competition Deadline: 30 September 2020
The Ethics Essay Competition endeavours to promote ethics and integrity in finance. The initiative reaches out to people familiar with the accountancy, banking, finance and investment sectors to attract innovative ideas, proposals and projects which could be promoted to major players in the business community. The aim is to strengthen the sustainability of ethics in business and to reinforce its implementation.
The competition also promotes greater awareness among people of the benefits of strengthening ethical approaches in all aspects of finance. Let’s start the conversation.
Jointly organised by ACCA Hong Kong and CFA Institute, we present a perfect platform to express your thoughts and to exchange best thinking on ethical issues among like-minded professionals in the finance world. Register now!
Organisers: ACCA Hong Kong and CFA Institute
About the competition
- Submissions of essay in English should be around 1,000 – 1,500 words
- You choose any topic related to ethical dilemma to write about
- The essay should comprise three parts: the background, the ethical dilemma and the solution or action taken.
- Prizes are awarded to the top three entries
- Download the Rules and Regulation and Cover Page
First Prize: Apple HomePod
Second Prize: Apple Watch Series 3
Third Prize: Apple AirPods
The top three winners may have the chance to present their case virtually to the audience of industry experts, practitioners and academicians.
The competition is jointly held by ACCA Hong Kong and CFA Institute and it is open to anyone who is keen to promote ethics and integrity in finance.
What are we looking for?
- Innovative approach
- Insightful and thorough analysis
- Practical and relevant to society
- Precision in writing including clarity of expression
- Clear conclusions
Benefits of participation
- Ideal platform to express yourself
- Ideal avenue to try a different event
- Possible opportunity to present your essay to industry experts, practitioners and academicians
- Winning essay possibly gets uploaded onto Asia-Pacific Research Exchange platform (www.arx.cfa) for further comments and discussion
- Great for your professional development
- ACCA Professional Insights research work www.accaglobal.com/hk/en/professional-insights.html
- CFA Institute Asia-Pacific Research Exchange www.arx.cfa
- CFA Institute www.cfainstitute.org
- CFA Institute Blogs blogs.cfainstitute.org
- Past winners for Ethics & Trust in Finance Prize www.ethicsinfinance.org/previsous-editions/published-texts
- Interviews with past winners for Ethics & Trust in Finance Prize: www.ethicsinfinance.org/2016-2017/interviews-of-the-winners
- Deadline will be strictly adhered to. Late entries will not be entertained.
- Advisable to download and adhere to the Rules and Regulation to avoid disqualification
- Submission consist of 3 SEPARATE documents – 1) signed and completed Cover Page, 2) essay (in word format), and 3) essay (in pdf format)
- File name – Please use initials of your full name and essay title as file name. Example of Cover Page Submission – Cover Page YCL_Conflicting_clients_interests. There should NOT be additional information on the file such as name, organisation or any hint of your identity to encourage impartiality in grading
- For essay (in word format) and essay (in pdf format), please ensure that you DO NOT have your name, organisation or any hint of your identity to ensure impartiality in grading. Judges will only have access to the essay (in pdf format).
- Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not plagiarise
- Do not infringe the intellectual property rights
- Reference must be made to assertions, data etc
- Do not make unsubstantiated assertions about organisations or individuals which might be libellous
- The Competition is subject to all applicable Hong Kong laws and regulations
In line with ESG principles
We will try our very best wherever practical to run this competition with minimal carbon footprint.
We endeavour to:
- Use predominantly electronic communication
- Submission of entries via email (no hard copy accepted)
- Print minimal marketing collaterals and information booklets
- Use soft-copy certificate of participation, appreciation etc (Sorry Judges, there won’t be token of appreciation)
We're delighted to announce the winners of the competition:
Champion: Ching Hsiang Chan (Topic: Maintaining Confidence in Financial Markets)
1st Runner-up: Wajahat Umar Pirzada (Topic: Self-interest)
2nd Runner-up: Shazia Farooq (Topic: Business Ethics: Spotlight on Pakistan)
On 3 December 2020, we are organising a webinar where our winning author will be presenting his masterpiece. We have also invited the judges to share their observations and thoughts for the competition, and to share their insights and experience on the topic of ethics. Do join us on this maiden event to celebrate the goodness of ethics.