A view of the Palace of Westminster, taken from Westminster Bridge at night

These are some of the key agencies and bodies that you will need to register with:


Registering with HMRC as a business
Registering with HMRC as an agent

Companies House

Registering with Companies House


Registering with the Pensions Regulator for auto-enrolment declarations on behalf of employers

Data Protection

Registering with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) under the Data Protection Act

It is highly likely that the work you do in running a practice will involve the retention of client information.

You are therefore likely to fall under the provisions of the Data Protection (Charges and Information) Regulations 2018 and if so, you will need to register with the ICO.

Data protection and self-assessmen toolkit

The ICO website has a Data protection self assessment toolkit that comprises checklists to assess your compliance with the DPA and find out what you need to do:

ICO: Data protection self assessment toolkit

The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect on 25 May 2018 and applies in the UK. It contains numerous obligations and all practices must be in compliance with the Regulation.

The Information Commissioner’s Office has information and resources on its website:

ICO: Overview of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)