IT considerations - what does a new practice need?
For the new start-up practice there is a bewildering variety of software, IT and cloud products to choose from.
This resource has been developed for the UK market – if you are not based in the UK then you should consider how the information and advice can be applied in your market.
Our Secret Accountant provides advice on software packages to help your new practice.
Support for digitalisation
ACCA UK has developed a suite of resources for practitioners starting on their digital journey or who have only recently started:
Going digital - member experience podcasts
This series of podcasts features ACCA practitioners discussing how they digitalised their practices:
- Graeme Tennick of Graeme Tennick & Co - the emotional journey and mistakes along the way
- Peter Jarman of PJCO Accountants Ltd - practicalities and the importance of an in-house champion
- Eriona Bajrakurtaj of Major's Accounts & Co Ltd - the obstacles to digitalising a traditional family practice and how collaboration with other practitioners would have made a huge difference
- Gillian French of DNA Accountants Ltd - moving her practice onto the cloud just as the pandemic hit.
Introduction to apps podcast
- ACCA member Graeme Tennick shares his experience of moving his practice onto the cloud in his webinar: From a desk-based accountant to a cloud-based accountant in 60 minutes, and a further webinar on moving from a traditional accountant to the accountant of the future in 60 minutes
- Matt Flanagan of Appacus explains how to get the most out of Cloud Accounting & App Stacks for your firm and your clients
- ACCA member Nigel Adams of Ad Valorem discusses how quality data is the foundation of success in an accountancy practice
- ACCA member Rowan Van Tromp of App Advisory Plus explains how you can focus your app research to find the right apps.
- ACCA member Christina Christoforou of CMNC Associates Ltd looks at how you can modernise your practice by moving it onto the cloud, and how the future of practice lies in offering advisory services.
Transitioning to a digital firm
ACCA member Will Farnell of Farnell Clarke shares his blueprint for transitioning to a digital firm through this series of articles:
- Change can be good
- Pricing - the route to growth
- Building a firm with client experience at the heart
- The importance of process for the digital firm
- Why process and efficiency are crucial elements of a digital firm
- Delivering advisory services - the digital firm way
- Marketing your - digital - firm
- The role of culture in delivering your strategy.
IT systems are critical to the running of any business so steps need to be taken to protect them. ACCA and Barclays have produced a webinar providing an introduction to cyber security and what you need to be aware of: Know your cyber and fraud risks.
Future proof your practice
ACCA provides many future proofing resources and partnerships to help you future proof your practice.
In a new partnership with Sage, all new ACCA licensed practices can receive complimentary Sage software for their first 20 clients for the first 6 months of their business (terms & conditions apply). As well as offering you complimentary software, Sage will support you in the early days through your practice success manager and enablement experts including a detailed bespoke onboarding programme. The aim is to maximise the efficiency and effectiveness of your new practice.
There is more information about the offer and terms & conditions on our resources for practitioners page.
ACCA has produced a report on developing the digitalised small and medium practice. There are a number of UK case studies that are very useful for those starting on the journey to digitalisation.