ACCA's Regulatory Board was launched in September 2008, bringing together all of our previous governance arrangements for regulation and discipline into a single entity.
The remit of the Regulatory Board is to provide oversight of ACCA's disciplinary and regulatory activities, and to report to our Council on the fairness and impartiality of these activities. The Board also has responsibility for overseeing ACCA's examinations and other matters in relation to the integrity of the qualifications process.
Placing oversight of regulation and discipline at ‘arm's length' from the governance of our other activities helps to reassure stakeholders that our arrangements are operated impartially, with integrity and in the public interest.
The Board is supported in its work by three sub-Boards - the Appointments, Qualifications and Standards boards. Each sub-Board is constituted as a self-standing Board and they report regularly to the Regulatory Board through their chairs.
The Board comprises two members of our Council and six independent ‘lay' appointees - non-accountants - one of whom is Lay Chair.
Terms of Reference
- To oversee ACCA’s governance and oversight arrangements for regulation of members and students.
- To oversee the work of the Appointments, Qualifications and Standards Boards and to appoint chairs of the respective Boards.
- To oversee ACCA's interactions with its lead regulators, including receiving reports of inspections, and to advise Council on any matters likely to affect the proper discharge of ACCA's statutory recognitions.
- To develop and adopt policy statement in respect of non-operational regulatory and disciplinary matters as may arise from time to time.
- To monitor the fairness, impartiality and integrity of ACCA's complaints and discipline, education and learning, examinations, licensing and practice monitoring processes.
- To provide
a strategic view of the regulatory risks and to monitor ACCA’s arrangements for
identifying and managing regulatory risks.
Dates of meetings
10 November 2021
9 February 2022
26 May 2022
15 September 2022
8 December 2022