Employment Allowance

HMRC has issued further guidance following Royal Assent of the National Insurance Contributions Act 2014 on how employers may claim the Employment Allowance

HMRC guidance details who can and cannot claim the Employment Allowance, stating:

'You cannot claim the Employment Allowance, for example, if you:

  • employ someone for personal, household or domestic work, such as a nanny, au pair, chauffeur, gardener, care support worker
  • already claim the allowance through a connected company or charity 
  • are a public authority, this includes; local, district, town and parish councils
  • carry out functions either wholly or mainly of a public nature (unless you have charitable status), for example:
  • NHS services
  • general practitioner services
  • the managing of housing stock owned by or for a local council
  • providing a meals-on-wheels service for a local council
  • refuse collection for a local council
  • prison services
  • collecting debt for a government department.

You do not carry out a function of a public nature, if you are:

  • providing security and cleaning services for a public building, such as government or local council offices
  • supplying IT services for a government department or local council.'