Guide to... capital gains tax for individuals, sole traders and partnerships

Personal and business capital gains are treated differently, depending on whether you are self-employed (as a sole trader or in a partnership) or trade as a limited company Personal capital gains (eg on privately owned shares) and business gains made by the self-employed are dealt with through capital gains tax (CGT), while capital gains made by a company are subject to corporation tax as chargeable gains.