The choice of appropriate R&D projects is highly interdependent on the future strategy of an industry. CFOs can leverage the information in the industry Technology Roadmap to evaluate their firm's project appraisal process and consider if it gives a clear picture of the risks. The Technology Roadmap provides a basis for:
- Engaging other C-suite executives in conversation about how the organizational strategy aligns with industry forecasts
- Rebalancing investment strategies by signalling to firms projects that are highly risky and those that are of lower risk
- Validating the firm's strategy with less effort
- Increasing collaboration through multi-agency R&D initiatives and achieving conjoint technical and cost targets that support growth and development of the industry
- Helping to identify the likelihood of various R&D outcomes and the risks that could affect the achievement of those outcomes.
- Accelerating the “time to market” of new products.