Supporting the global profession
Supporting SMEs to achieve sustainability
A new toolkit by ACCA and Chartered Accountants ANZ, How SMEs can create a more sustainable world, equips finance professionals and businesses with concise, actionable insights and resources.
SMEs play a critical role in the transition to a sustainable future. They are vital to global employment, food production and distribution, construction, health and wellbeing, and the delivery of vital services. SMEs account for more than 90% of the world’s businesses and employ half the world’s workers.
Collectively, SMEs have a major economic impact and are key to environmental and social change, and this new Insight series from ACCA and Chartered Accountants ANZ provides guidance on embedding sustainable practice in their businesses.
Many thousands of our members work in small and medium-sized accountancy firms (SMPs) and support SMEs on their sustainability journey – from analysing data and business models to reporting on non-financial metrics and setting strategic aims.
About the toolkit
The toolkit sets out how to build a sustainability business case, which should focus on:
- increasing business resilience and enhancing innovation
- strengthening the supply chain
- driving down energy costs
- creating greater brand value
- attracting purpose-driven talent
- improving access to finance.
When developing an integrated sustainability strategy, the guide offers top tips for success, including:
- Ensuring employees of all levels and directors are committed to sustainability issues.
- Developing and documenting a strategy that uses SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound).
- Delegating employees to lead change in specific areas.
- Evaluating the financial and non-financial impact on the business.