Guidance for standing for election to Council
In April 2024, nominations will open for any ACCA members wishing to stand for election to Council at the 2024 AGM.
Council is the governing body of ACCA and as such has a pivotal role in ACCA affairs. It has a wide-ranging remit that includes:
- ensuring that ACCA operates in the public interest and delivers the objectives stated in its Royal Charter
- setting the overall direction of ACCA through regular approval of ACCA strategy
- ensuring that governance structures are aligned to the effective delivery of strategy
- engaging with ACCA members to explain and promote ACCA’s strategic direction
- acting on behalf of all members - and on behalf of future generations of members (today's students and affiliates)
- providing an objective environment for the executive team to explore new ideas or challenges.
Council and the executive board collaborate to devise ACCA’s strategy, which is then approved by Council. Delivery of the strategy and all operational matters are the responsibility of the executive board, with oversight provided by Council via the Council Board.
Council members are volunteer custodians, elected by the membership of ACCA to provide overall stewardship as to ACCA’s well-being. Council members act in the interests of the membership as a whole, rather than on behalf of any particular constituency, country or group.
Candidates for election to Council come from all parts of the world holding various senior positions across a range of sectors.
For those wishing to stand for Council it is valuable to be able to think, participate and act strategically. Personal and professional integrity must be of the highest standard.
ACCA expects members to bring the following skills and attributes to Council:
- an ability to take a strategic and analytical approach to issues and to see ‘the big picture’
- an understanding of business and the marketplace
- communication and networking skills
- an ability to interact with peers and respect the views of others
- decision-making abilities
- an ability and track record of acting in an ambassadorial role in many different environments
- planning and time management
- a willingness to learn and develop.
Any member wishing to stand must be nominated by at least 10 other members who are also in good standing. Candidates should supply a current head-and-shoulders photograph and an election statement of up to 350 words. Candidates are also required to sign declarations of their willingness to comply with, and be bound by, the code of practice for Council members.
To register your interest in standing for election or for more information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting ‘Council elections’ in the subject box.
Please note that the date of the 2024 Annual General Meeting this year is 14 November 2024, in accordance with bye-law 44(a).
The closing date for submission of nominations to the Secretary is therefore 14 August 2024, in accordance with bye-law 16.